Before choosing an ecommerce platform to build your own ecommerce website, check these 5 amazing open source ecommerce solutions!
Let’s face it – ecommerce is expanding pretty fast, with sales expected to reach incredibly $3 trillion this year. New ecommerce platforms and solutions are constantly presented on the market in order to meet the needs of individuals and retailers entering the ecommerce world.
From small shops and startups to large corporations, a lot of ecommerce store owners are choosing to use open source ecommerce solutions. There are various reasons for this decision. They want either to have a better control over their online presence or they want to save money.
The most popular ecommerce platforms today are open source solutions, including WooCommerce which is the most popular and widely-downloaded and used solution on the web.
If you have basic technical skills and knowledge and you have enough time to play with HTML and CSS, you are an ideal candidate for open source ecommerce solutions. Starting an online store from scratch is an expensive and time-consuming process, and not everyone can afford to hire professional web developer or designer to build a custom ecommerce store. This is another reason why so many businesses and individuals decide to use ecommerce platforms.
Here are the best 5 open source ecommerce solutions you can use:
- X Cart – This platform offers self-install and hosted options. Even though the feature list is amazing, the upgrading can be overpriced. However, if you are a beginner, you probably don’t need any upgrades, at least not yet. You will need to use HTML and manually code to get the most out of this platform, but we can ensure you it is nothing that you can’t do.
- Magento Community Edition – This is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms. It is a great choice for online stores that are committed and like the idea of an open source platform.
- PrestaShop – There are more than 250.000 stores that use this incredible ecommerce platform. The platform is well liked by users and developers.
- OpenCart – If you are looking for a great ecommerce platform and a huge selection of themes, look no further as OpenCart is the perfect option for you.
- VirtueMart – This platform can offer you more than 500 different features, an active developer community, and stores all over the world.
Pick the right platform for your business and build your online store today!